Table of Contents
This manual includes contributions from many members of the Tomcat Project developer community. The following authors have provided significant content:
- Craig R. McClanahan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The information presented is divided into the following sections:
- Introduction - Briefly describes the information covered here, with links and references to other sources of information.
- Installation - Covers acquiring and installing the required software components to use Tomcat for web application development.
- Deployment Organization - Discusses the standard directory layout for a web application (defined in the Servlet API Specification), the Web Application Deployment Descriptor, and options for integration with Tomcat in your development environment.
- Source Organization -
Describes a useful approach to organizing the source code
directories for your project, and introduces the
build.xmlused by Ant to manage compilation.
- Development Processes - Provides brief descriptions of typical development processes utilizing the recommended deployment and source organizations.
- Example Application - This directory contains a very simple, but functionally complete, "Hello, World" application built according to the principles described in this manual. You can use this application to practice using the described techniques.