public class Base64
- extends java.lang.Object
Encodes and decodes to and from Base64 notation.
The options parameter, which appears in a few places, is used to pass
several pieces of information to the encoder. In the "higher level" methods such as
encodeBytes( bytes, options ) the options parameter can be used to indicate such
things as first gzipping the bytes before encoding them, not inserting linefeeds
(though that breaks strict Base64 compatibility), and encoding using the URL-safe
and Ordered dialects.
The constants defined in Base64 can be OR-ed together to combine options, so you
might make a call like this:
String encoded = Base64.encodeBytes( mybytes, Base64.GZIP | Base64.DONT_BREAK_LINES );
to compress the data before encoding it and then making the output have no newline characters.
- v2.2.2 - Fixed encodeFileToFile and decodeFileToFile to use the
Base64.InputStream class to encode and decode on the fly which uses
less memory than encoding/decoding an entire file into memory before writing.
- v2.2.1 - Fixed bug using URL_SAFE and ORDERED encodings. Fixed bug
when using very small files (~< 40 bytes).
- v2.2 - Added some helper methods for encoding/decoding directly from
one file to the next. Also added a main() method to support command line
encoding/decoding from one file to the next. Also added these Base64 dialects:
Special thanks to Jim Kellerman at http://www.powerset.com/
for contributing the new Base64 dialects.
- The default is RFC3548 format.
- Calling Base64.setFormat(Base64.BASE64_FORMAT.URLSAFE_FORMAT) generates
URL and file name friendly format as described in Section 4 of RFC3548.
- Calling Base64.setFormat(Base64.BASE64_FORMAT.ORDERED_FORMAT) generates
URL and file name friendly format that preserves lexical ordering as described
- v2.1 - Cleaned up javadoc comments and unused variables and methods. Added
some convenience methods for reading and writing to and from files.
- v2.0.2 - Now specifies UTF-8 encoding in places where the code fails on systems
with other encodings (like EBCDIC).
- v2.0.1 - Fixed an error when decoding a single byte, that is, when the
encoded data was a single byte.
- v2.0 - I got rid of methods that used booleans to set options.
Now everything is more consolidated and cleaner. The code now detects
when data that's being decoded is gzip-compressed and will decompress it
automatically. Generally things are cleaner. You'll probably have to
change some method calls that you were making to support the new
options format (ints that you "OR" together).
- v1.5.1 - Fixed bug when decompressing and decoding to a
byte using decode( String s, boolean gzipCompressed ).
Added the ability to "suspend" encoding in the Output Stream so
you can turn on and off the encoding if you need to embed base64
data in an otherwise "normal" stream (like an XML file).
- v1.5 - Output stream pases on flush() command but doesn't do anything itself.
This helps when using GZIP streams.
Added the ability to GZip-compress objects before encoding them.
- v1.4 - Added helper methods to read/write files.
- v1.3.6 - Fixed OutputStream.flush() so that 'position' is reset.
- v1.3.5 - Added flag to turn on and off line breaks. Fixed bug in input stream
where last buffer being read, if not completely full, was not returned.
- v1.3.4 - Fixed when "improperly padded stream" error was thrown at the wrong time.
- v1.3.3 - Fixed I/O streams which were totally messed up.
I am placing this code in the Public Domain. Do with it as you will.
This software comes with no guarantees or warranties but with
plenty of well-wishing instead!
Please visit http://iharder.net/base64
periodically to check for updates or to contribute improvements.
- Robert Harder, email@example.com
Decodes data from Base64 notation.
Encodes a byte array into Base64 notation.
|Methods inherited from class java.lang.Object
clone, equals, finalize, getClass, hashCode, notify, notifyAll, toString, wait, wait, wait
public static java.lang.String encodeBytes(byte source)
- Encodes a byte array into Base64 notation.
Does not GZip-compress data.
source - The data to convert
public static byte decode(java.lang.String s)
- Decodes data from Base64 notation.
s - the string to decode
- the decoded data
Copyright © 2009. All Rights Reserved.