This is the top-level entry point of the documentation bundle for the JBoss Web Servlet/JSP container, which is based on the Apache Tomcat 6.0 project developed by the Apache Software Foundation. JBoss Web implements the Servlet 2.5 and JavaServer Pages 2.1 specifications from the Java Community Process, and includes many additional features that make it a useful platform for developing and deploying web applications and web services.
Select one of the links from the navigation menu (to the left) to drill down to the more detailed documentation that is available. Each available manual is described in more detail below.
The following documents will assist you in downloading, installing JBoss Web, and using many of its features.
- Introduction - A brief, high level, overview of JBoss Web.
- Setup - How to install and run JBoss Web on a variety of platforms.
- System Properties - System properties used for JBoss Web configuration.
- First web application
- An introduction to the concepts of a web application as defined
in the Servlet
2.4 Specification. Covers basic organization of your web application
source tree, the structure of a web application archive, and an
introduction to the web application deployment descriptor
- Deployer - Operating the JBoss Web Deployer to deploy, precompile, and validate web applications.
- Manager -
Managerweb app to deploy, undeploy, and redeploy applications while JBoss Web is running.
- Realms and Access Control - Description of how to configure Realms (databases of users, passwords, and their associated roles) for use in web applications that utilize Container Managed Security.
- Security Manager - Configuring and using a Java Security Manager to support fine-grained control over the behavior of your web applications.
- JNDI Resources - Configuring standard and custom resources in the JNDI naming context that is provided to each web application.
- JDBC DataSource - Configuring a JNDI DataSoure with a DB connection pool. Examples for many popular databases.
- Classloading - Information about class loading in JBoss Web, including where to place your application classes so that they are visible.
- JSPs - Information about Jasper configuration, as well as the JSP compiler usage.
- SSL -
configuring SSL support so that your JBoss Web will serve requests using
- PHP - Using PHPs with JBoss Web.
- SSI - Using Server Side Includes in JBoss Web.
- CGI - Using CGIs with JBoss Web.
- URL Rewriting - Using rewriting features in JBoss Web.
- Proxy Support - Configuring JBoss Web to run behind a proxy server (or a web server functioning as a proxy server).
- MBean Descriptor - Configuring MBean descriptors files for custom components.
- Default Servlet - Configuring the default servlet and customizing directory listings.
- Connectors - Connectors available in JBoss Web, and native web server integration.
- Monitoring and Management - Enabling JMX Remote support, and using tools to monitor and manage JBoss Web.
- Logging - Configuring logging in JBoss Web.
- Apache Portable Runtime - Using APR to provide superior performance, scalability and better integration with native server technologies.
- Virtual Hosting - Configuring vitual hosting in JBoss Web.
- Advanced IO - Extensions available over regular, blocking IO.
The following documents are aimed at System Administrators who are responsible for installing, configuring, and operating a JBoss Web server.
- Release notes - Known issues in this JBoss Web release.
- JBoss Web Server Configuration Reference
- Reference manual that documents all available elements and attributes
that may be placed into a JBoss Web
- JK Documentation - Complete documentation and HOWTOs on the JK native webserver connector, used to interface JBoss Web with servers like Apache HTTPd, IIS and others.
- Servlet API Javadocs - The Servlet 2.4 API Javadocs.
- JSP API Javadocs - The JSP 2.0 API Javadocs.
The following documents are for Java developers who wish to contribute to the development of the JBoss Web project.
- Building from Source - Details the steps necessary to download JBoss Web source code (and the other packages that it depends on), and build a binary distribution from those sources.
- Changelog - Details the changes made to JBoss Web.
- Functional Specifications - Requirements specifications for features of the Catalina servlet container portion of JBoss Web.
- Catalina Javadocs - Javadoc API documentation for the Catalina servlet container and its dependencies.
- Jasper Javadocs - Javadoc API documentation for the Jasper JSP container portion of JBoss Web.
- JBoss Web Architecture - Documentation of the JBoss Web Server Architecture.